Monday, November 12, 2007

Anti-Semitism

Hello Fashionistas,


I know this is a blog dedicated to fashion, but something I found to be interesting and important has come up which I would like to discuss. A march by neo-nazis in Prague, Czech Republic was scheduled the day after Kristallnacht, the night in 1938 when the Nazi's attacked synagogue's and Jewish homes and businesses throughout Germany and parts of Austria. This hits very close to me as I am Jew and I consider my second home to Prague for my dad and brother live there and I travel there at least twice a year. Authorities had banned the march by the Young National Democrats which is linked to the National Resistance, a neo-nazi group through the Jewish quarter of Prague. The group however did not listen and marched anyway.


"Hundreds of Jews and others gathered in the historic Jewish quarter to commemorate the Nazi pogrom, protest the march and be ready, if it went ahead, to prevent it from going through the neighborhood." This event deeply saddens me and horrifies me, and further makes me more aware of how prevalent antisemitism still is.


neo-nazi resting after being hit by anti-facist activists in downtown Prague



Here is a video I found on youtube to show you the chaos that insued. I hope this incident as enlightening as I did.

No comments: